Sunday, July 27, 2014

I'm getting better at this...

Second in the series of Filmation-style She-Ra dolls is Frosta! I seriously love the way she turned out. I'm going to have to make a set of these for myself, I suspect.

Labels: ,

Saturday, July 12, 2014

More mods

Filmation-style Castaspella!

Labels: ,

Sunday, July 06, 2014

When life gives you two extra She-Ra shields, turn them into the two you're missing

In cyan, the two extra shields I had, Perfuma's and Sweet Bee's respectively; in red, the two I didn't have, Netossa's and Mermista's respectively. After mixing colours to match Mermista's shell earlier this morning, I set to work after lunch and made... The greenish-blue went on like a dream, but the watered-down Golden Acrylics Titanium White I was using for Netossa's shield doesn't thin well — it clumps. Nonetheless, I was able to paint a passable white shield that you'd never know used to be a vibrant yellow.


Saturday, July 05, 2014

Flutterina is becoming Spinnerella

Yesterday I mixed purple and pink paint to match my Spinnerella. I beheaded and stripped the paint off my original Flutterina doll as her scalp was tearing at the back and getting progressively worse when she got relegated to playtime with Kara. This morning, I masked off the parts I didn't want to get paint on; that was tedious, I need to look into getting liquid frisket. Then I hooked up my VEDA 130E airbrush (the Custom Micron-C is — hopefully — being repaired after the nozzle head broke in the nozzle connector) to begin applying paint. There was a coat of Krylon low-odour matte finish which went on next, some touch-ups with a fine brush, and the application of the pink paint — hand-brushing occurring on the insignia. Another coat of matte finish later and I had a convincing Spinnerella. Her paint isn't as clean as I'd have liked it to be — I think I'll have to omit the paint-stripping step in the future as it mars the surrounding plastic somewhat and I need to apply the matte coat in short bursts to prevent pooling. Still, it's a good start. I ordered the hair I'm going to need for the doll, and will re-root the head of a long-defunct Mermista I've had since I was a child. Photo album on click-through.