Thursday, June 16, 2016

I've just discovered my new favourite website

Fuck Your Noguchi Coffee Table

Labels: , ,

Friday, March 11, 2016

F---, yeah!

Orkestra Obsolete's cover of New Order's Blue Monday

Our first visit from the Tooth Fairy

Kara's first baby tooth popped out yesterday, just before dinner. It's her bottom, right, front tooth which has been wiggling for weeks now. The adult tooth was growing in behind it, which for some time caused me to be reminded of a shark's mouth whenever I'd glance in her mouth. Matt created a tooth envelope and the tooth fairy left Kara a hearty $2 coin in exchange for her tooth. Kara says she thinks the tooth fairy turns the teeth into the coins she leaves behind.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Sofia the First's crown

Finding one of these in real life which actually looks like the character's crown is next-to-impossible, so I made one for Kara's Hallowe'en costume this year with Adobe Illustrator, printable shrink plastic, scissors, an X-acto knife, a hole punch, silver-tone paint, acrylic gems and Krazy Glue.

Labels: ,

Friday, October 03, 2014

Filmation-style She-Ra!

I was done working on her a couple of days ago, but the weather's been so gloomy around here that I've been unable to take any decent pictures until this morning. This beauty is going up for auction on Sunday evening. I'm so proud of how she turned out.

Labels: ,

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Next up...

Here's a progress pic of what I've been working on lately. Whenever adjusting to the new routine allows me to, any way.

Labels: ,

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Custom Spinnerella!

I was awaiting the arrival of some Milliput so that I could complete my Filmation-style "girls", so this week I worked on turning a Flutterina into a Spinnerella. I've done this once before, when I made a Spinnerella for Kara, and learned from my mistakes there so that this version could be much cleaner.

The original Spinnerella (in my personal collection, as she has been since about 1986) is on the right and the repainted Flutterina, with new duds, is on the left. My intent is to put her up for auction tomorrow and see if she sells well.

Labels: ,

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

And while I'm at it...

My modified Angella was completed on August 6th. The auction for this custom went live on Sunday evening.

I've just got Adora, She-Ra and Catra to complete to round out the Series 1 girls who were on T.V.. I'm awaiting an order of Milliput so that I can complete them. I suspect Catra will be up first, then Adora.


Modified Enchanta gear!

Yesterday I completed my work on a modified reins and saddle set-up for Enchanta. The original material used was a filmy plastic sheeting (likely PVC) with notches and stitched seams to attach pieces, which tore much too easily. The saddle was a soft cushion which, in practice, was completely useless for actually saddling up She-Ra toys.

The version I've created made use of a molded, cast, drilled and painted Clawdeen saddle which — in my not-so-humble opinion — was the only practical saddle for all the mounts in the original Princess of Power line-up, as it was the only one into which a toy "clicked" into place. The "blanket" material is now leather, held together with rust-resistant snaps, a much more durable option than the original.

While I was in the process of reworking the practical components, I thought I'd modify the aesthetic components as well, to be reminiscent of the original toy's, but more cohesive. As a result, the lotus motif has been used heavily, reflecting itself in the point on the reins/headgear, the front of the "saddle blanket" and the cut just below the holofoil embellishment. I'm much happier with this iteration than I ever was with the original.


Friday, August 01, 2014

I believe this is what's referred to as a "hat trick"

From right to left: Filmation-style Glimmer, Filmation-style Castaspella, Filmation-style Frosta

Labels: ,