Monday, April 14, 2008

Another day, another dollar...
...another tower...



Back into the daily slog known as the Working World. Big Pimp found me a four-week placement which I began today. It's in a building I've worked in before, which means the neighbourhood is familiar, at least. The views are spectacular. I'm going to have to bring my camera in for a minor photo-op.

I've been experiencing minor anxiety attacks about this placement for the past several days. I don't know how common this is amongst freelancers, but I found myself worrying (a lot) that I'd hate the place. I've only once been sent to a placement that I was just miserable at, so there was, statistically, no real reason for me to get that worked up about it. My hormones are certainly playing a part in the matter, but I'm really beginning to think that my bum luck at finding a decent full-time job makes me extra-jumpy about ending up at a workplace I can't stand. I guess I'm starting to feel a bit professionally abused — so much so that I've started thinking about a suitable career to switch to. No solid plans just yet, just the vague idea that feeling emotionally-ruined in refernce to a career-choice isn't the sort of mindset anyone should be in.

This morning, I realized that another big part of my anxiety was stemming from a fear that I'd start feeling overwhelmed at home again. I've been finding a great deal of peace in being able to accomplish all the chores I've been wanting to get to while I've been at home. One thing I hate about full-time employment is how it splits your time in two: things you do at work and things you do at home. Keeping on top of both was next to impossible while I worked at Scholastic, and I dread experiencing that sort of pressure again. Mind you, they had a way of eating into home-time and I doubt I'd put up with that sort of situation terribly long anywhere else.

One thing I miss is having friends around to lunch with. Being a freelancer means wandering around the area you're in, but rarely meeting up with people you know. This neighbourhood's terrible for that. Maybe I can get Caty to come join me once a week, or something...

Surprisingly, a lot of the establishments which were in this area two years ago are still around. I guess I've become Yonge-ified, expecting businesses to fold within months.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Fri Apr 18, 06:15:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh! Oh! Me! I'll lunch with you. Odds are I'll have the time. Where is that building anyway? Seems kinda familiar.

 
At Sat Apr 19, 12:03:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

If you're game for taking the Sheppard subway line out, I'm between Don Mills and Victoria Park on Sheppard. Please, please, please come hang out! Also, I have yet to find a really good eatery, so maybe we're going to Harvey's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home