Monday, February 11, 2008

Oh, mozzarella sticks...
...how I've missed thee

I thought I'd take the opportunity of being between jobs to conduct an experiment: feeding myself (homemade) buffalo mozzarella sticks.

I picked up buffalo mozzarella at the gourmet food shop just south of Noah's on Yonge, north of Eglinton (sorry, I can't remember the name of the place itself!) The intent was, hopefully, to find a mozzarella that my digestive system can process more readily than cow's milk mozzarella. The precedent is that goat's cheese doesn't cause me discomfort (just the bloat) that cow's cheese does.

Today I cut the cheese into wedges, dippped those into an egg wash, then a flour and thyme mixture, back into the egg, and then into panko bread crumbs. After a quick chill in the freezer, I dropped them into hot oil for a few seconds to brown.

It was so great to be able to eat mozzarella sticks again, and I've yet to suffer any ill effects. Yay, buffalo mozzarella!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At Tue Feb 12, 07:17:00 am GMT-5, Blogger rrwood said...

Wow-- that looks really good...

 
At Tue Feb 12, 12:11:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger Austin said...

Oh wow, you're so going to have to show me where that store is ... it will make Emma happy. :)

 
At Tue Feb 12, 03:20:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger Emma said...

Oh so happy

 
At Tue Feb 12, 05:31:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger ghanima said...

It's right about here. You can't miss it, it smells like marinated food when you walk in and has a wall of vinegars and oils on your left. The right-hand side has a "deli" counter. The very back has the buffalo mozzarella, when they have it in stock. If you do happen to go, let the readers know what the name of the place is, please!

 
At Wed Feb 13, 11:42:00 am GMT-5, Blogger Austin said...

Maybe if I get her some, she'll love me again.

 
At Mon Aug 03, 04:45:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

The place is called, "Pascale Gourmet", and it's at 2393 Yonge St.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home