Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Condolences

I imagine that a good portion of the Comp Sci gang is at a loss for words at the moment. What is it that one says to a good friend who's lost a parent? When the first words that come out of your mouth are, "I'm so sorry," you realize that it sounds far worse actually being said than how pathetically ineffectual it sounded in your head.

We're all aware of the fact that we, too, will one day have to bury our parents, but I don't think any of us are prepared for the reality of actually seeing it happen, or even of seeing it happen to someone we care about.

Knowing that all you can do is hope that your love and support makes it through the grief and pain can leave one feeling pretty damned helpless.

I suppose I'll just have to be here to lend an ear (and offer up a free meal or two), and hope I get taken up on the offer.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Tue Feb 26, 12:43:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger Emma said...

It's like living with you for a year has caused you to be able to read my mind. I've been struggling with exactly how to express my sympathy, a card seems too simple, as for calling I'd feel like I was intruding on a family time.

 
At Wed Feb 27, 10:34:00 am GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an outside party, yet someone who has had to go through it, I would suggest food and an offer to get together to do something enjoyably low key. Grief has its own timetable, and it is a marathon, not a sprint. Still, the constant sad faces one sees after losing someone they love can be overwhelming. I know it meant the world to me when a week or two after my mom died all my friends got together and played board games and ate ice cream. A welcome relief.

Just my unsolicited two cents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home