Friday, January 25, 2008

English grammar lesson #487:
Me, myself and I

"Myself went to the store," is glaringly incorrect, so "Bruce, Jess and myself went to the store," is wrong as well.

The fact that "I went to the store," is right means that "Matt, Caty and I went to the store," is also correct.

"That bag belongs to me," can be pluralized by saying, "That bag belongs to Emma, Miriam and me."

"I gave myself a treat," can be pluralized to "I gave Kev, Michelle and myself a treat."

When in doubt, determine the first-person singular that gets used when all other people are taken out of the sentence, then add the others to it. Of course, a well placed "we" or "us" is useful for avoiding the situation altogether.


English grammar lesson #488:
"X" is not "S"

Cases in point: Especially, espresso, escape

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Tue Jan 29, 02:58:00 pm GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... you might want to axe Michelle about that second one... :D

 
At Sat Feb 02, 08:31:00 pm GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh shut up, Kevin!

Psst. Leah, can I have another treat? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home