Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A bit of breathing room

It looks like the big project is going to be signed off tonight, "Hell or high water", so I'll be here until then. I'm taking this temporary break to vent a little, rationalize things, then calm down:

I think my editor is one of the type of clients who doesn't know what she wants, so she keeps art directing me (bad idea, when you're an editor) into progressively shittier layouts, de-emphasizing elements when she's trying to make them stand out. I'm not very sympathetic to that type: if you don't have the attention to detail required to notice that making everything on the page larger actually dectracts from a sense of hierarchy, then you sure as hell shouldn't be telling me how to make effective design. I guess the lesson here is to nudge her subtly into layouts which accomplish what she wants, even if that occassionally means going completely against her directions. Still, there are so many "fingers in the pie" with these projects that odds are good I'll be doing exactly what at least one of the reviewers wants.

That's another thing: design by committee never works out. You get watered down designs and terrible direction. I can't believe any companies survive with this as their work model.

I keep being assured, however, that this is the roughest things are going to get out here. It sounds like, once their "look" for September is complete, they carry that forward with it until June. This ought to mean that I'm basically creating layouts from a template after tonight. This is good, 'cause I'm going to need a bit of brainlessness to make up for the burn-out I'm experiencing from the 2 work days I've put in so far this week.

I hope I'll be able to sleep in tomorrow, but I'm not going to place any bets just yet. I'm definitely going to have to buy lunch again, 'though. Today I went to (yum!, 'cept not) Taco Bell for a Beef and Bean Burrito and grabbed a Soy Delicious vanilla ice cream sandwich (which I liked a lot) from the local organic eatery. I'll probably be returning there for a proper meal some day within the next 8-1/2 months, so I'll post about it then.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At Tue Jul 18, 08:13:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is she the same 'project editor from hell' we were talking about last Friday? And she is still commanding the post there? Since nobody had shipped her out yet to 'Timbuktu', well then, feed her to the lions.

Better still, I'll take out 'my specialty doll' from hiding and I'll pierce all kinds of pins and needles on strategic spots and that'll teach her.

Evidently, she doesn't know what she wants - sounds like a "wishy-washy" of an editor.

 
At Tue Jul 18, 08:32:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a little brain-teaser as a diversion...

"A beggar's brother died. But the man who died had no brother. How is this possible?"

Do have a relaxing day tomorrow and by all means, sleep in until the cows come home to roost.

 
At Wed Jul 19, 09:38:00 am GMT-4, Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

We should meet up for some comfort food when things calm down a bit. I'm in anxiety hell here at work.

[P.S. - I think I know the answer to fa_homewood's brain teaser] :)

 
At Wed Jul 19, 10:08:00 am GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beggar is a woman. There. I've gone and ruined it for everyone. Phbbttt!! :)

 
At Wed Jul 19, 10:13:00 am GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

Wow, Kev, you suck. Funny, I know that riddle when the surgeon can't operate on the son, but the son's father isn't there, but I didn't clue in this time.

Incidentally, you met FA_homewood at my sister's going away party. Way to ruin the party for my sweet aunt, Kev. And after they brought all that delicious lumpia for you to inhale. Nice going.

 
At Wed Jul 19, 10:37:00 am GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

Also, this is an entirely different editor. Based on my discussion with her earlier today, my mindset is "she's an idiot". I don't trust people who explain everything to me that carefully.

 
At Wed Jul 19, 03:10:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

Who is the Kevin guy anyway? Imagine being married to someone like that? I say we find him and kick his arse. ;)

 
At Wed Jul 19, 03:25:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

"Imagine being married to someone like that?"

Eeeeeaaaauuuggggh! Don't ever make me do that again.

;)

 
At Wed Jul 19, 04:04:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah! Screw the both of ya!! Pshaw!!

Now I want ice cream...

 
At Wed Jul 19, 04:16:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

Wait on me! We can get walk over to DQ when I get home. You're paying ;)

 
At Wed Jul 19, 09:49:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In that case and by all accounts, you have "two editors from hell." I suppose a workplace would be so dull if you're surrounded by 'angels.' There has to be a sense of balance somehow.

Well, I think all you guys are simply too smart for any kind of brain-teasing stuff. I have a few more but we'll do them later.

What are pocky sticks, by the way? I am curious and so out of loop on this one.

 
At Wed Jul 19, 10:40:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

:)

Here's a random online store's selection of Pocky. You must have seen it in some of the Asian markets you've been to. They're thin cookie/cracker sticks covered in a chocolate-coating, from Japan. So yummy.

 
At Thu Jul 20, 12:23:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. I feel like I've been missing out on all the commenting fun.

Oo.. that coconut milk pocky sounds tasty..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home