Wednesday, June 28, 2006

More food-related bloggage

Since I left work a half-hour later today and wanted to avoid the 5pm office crowd, I stopped off at The Kitchen Table at King and Bathurst as they're the only place I've been, this year, with Ontario strawberries in. While I was there, I picked up some U.S. blueberries as well, as they were fetchingly plump and juicy-looking. They're all delicious, incidentally. I made up a big berry salad, like I used to do when I lived at Yonge and Eglinton. This is the sort of thing I keep in the fridge under plastic wrap and eat from over the next 3 or 4 days. Over the winter, I get series cravings for this, but the California strawberries we get in the winter simply don't compare. I hope the Californians get to keep the good ones to themselves and don't have to eat woody, tasteless strawberries like the ones they give to us. ;)

On second thought, there's nothing wrong with the organic strawberries I've bought that have come from California. They're quite tasty too.

I stopped off at R-Shop Furniture + Cafe at King and Spadina for lunch today. I'd overheard a co-worker earlier this week raving about a spring roll she got there, and the chicken sandwich I had today didn't quite satisfy my hunger, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I got an avocado spring roll which was made with what I believe is a rice-based wrapper (it's standard on fresh spring rolls in Toronto, translucent white with a slightly "gummy" texture") around a lettuce leaf which was stuffed with brown rice, avocado, cucumber and red pepper. I must say I'm going to make a point of grabbing many quick, light lunches out there. As a plus, the ladies at the lunch counter are very pleasant, young, Japanese women who make you feel welcome.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home