Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sweet, sweet success



I modified this recipe to create some dairy-free cinnamon buns! I substituted vegan margarine in place of butter in all instances. Instead of using milk, I heated Natura unsweetened soy milk to the required temperature and followed user ANDYTAMI's directions for making these rolls without using a bread machine:
Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl. Mix in the sugar, margarine, salt, and eggs. Add flour and mix well. Knead the dough into a large ball, using your hands dusted lightly with flour. Put in a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size. Then pick up with rolling out the dough.
I also followed user JENNIFER WOODARD's suggestion to flip the buns over once they've been baked, to allow the cinnamon filling to drip back into the folds.

Finally, my last modification to the recipe was to use Betty Crocker Whipped Cream Cheese icing (which, bizarrely, "May contain milk ingredients" — a surefire sign that the recipe doesn't actually contain dairy). I would have made my own with my favourite soy cream cheese, but I'm finding that the fetus has a strong aversion to soy products. The small amount of soy milk I used in place of milk shouldn't be enough to cause a bad reaction.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Tue Jan 26, 03:40:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger rrwood said...

ZOMG-- pics of your buns on the internet! Dripping with white goo, no less!


Umm, yeah. Anyway, the trick to flip the buns over is a great idea. I'll give that a shot next time, too.

Damn-- that sounded dirty too, didn't it?

 
At Tue Jan 26, 04:26:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger ghanima said...

As if you didn't know. You've just blown the minds of half my reading audience with your not-so-subtle double entendre.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home