Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Meatloaf and smashed potatoes



I had developed a collection of odds and ends in the fridge which needed to be used up, and lent themselves to a meatloaf. The recipe follows, and — due to the fact that it's made up of odds and ends — almost all quantities are approximate:
  • 2 pounds regular ground beef
    which I bought so I could use everything else up

  • 1/3 cup of salsa
    the rest of the jar went into my stuffed bell peppers

  • 1 tbsp. of ketchup
    this was the last of the bottle

  • 1/2 jar of shitake mushroom tapenade
    which I opened for use as a sandwich spread

  • 1 cup kamut bread crumbs
    the majority of these went into the potato stuffing I made for the Christmas turkey

  • 2 eggs

  • 7 cloves of fresh, organic minced garlic
    I'm going to have to use the rest of the jar of cloves up by mid-February

  • 1 tbsp. of granulated, roasted garlic seasoning

  • sea salt

The smashed potatoes are made with baby yellow potatoes, vegan margarine and sea salt.

I've also made up a batch of brownies, tweaking the recipe this time by using twice as much vanilla, adding about 1-1/2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and replacing the confectioner's sugar with Coco Natura's coconut sweetener.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Sun Jan 24, 12:31:00 am GMT-5, Blogger Hannah.KamutInternational said...

Dear Ghanima,

Greetings from Montana! I recently found your interesting blog and thought I would give it a read. I represent Kamut International and just wanted to say we are excited to see you using our product in very delicious ways! Keep spreading the word about this great grain! We are also on Twitter and Facebook if you want to become more involved!

Take care and keep on cooking!

Hannah

 
At Mon Jan 25, 11:20:00 am GMT-5, Blogger ghanima said...

Thanks for dropping by, Hannah! I've got my fair share of dietary issues, so I'm always game for trying new products for variation. I find that kamut is much easier on my digestion than wheat, and so am happy to use it when I can. All the best!

 
At Thu Apr 08, 01:33:00 am GMT-4, Blogger Hannah.KamutInternational said...

Hi Ghanima!

Just wanted to give u a quick update...we are having a contest called "FACES OF KAMUT" and we want to see our fans with their favorite KAMUT infused concoction. You seem very artistic so I am sure you can muster up something great! If you are interested... Please submit an entry. We are giving away a great KAMUT GOODIE BASKET!!!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=106620109373189&ref=mf

Hope to see you there!!

Take Care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home