Monday, October 01, 2007

One week later

It's unbelievable, how much calmer I feel after leaving my last job. I knew that the stress of the workload, scheduling and political situation was bothering me considerably, but I had no idea that it was this much. The fact that my only concerns pertain to what's going on in my home/personal life makes each day so much more manageable.

I've been eating far fewer foods that are bad for me. I had a five-hour cook-a-thon last Thursday which produced the following yummies (and a sore back!):

  • Chicken thighs, pan-fried and seasoned with salt and pepper. Today, I made a chicken salad with the meat.

  • Chicken soup 'cause Matt's been sick, made with organic vegetable boullion cubes, chicken leg meat, 2 de-seeded jalapeno peppers, 1 head of garlic, 1 yellow onion, 1 grated ginger root, chopped celery, chopped carrots and a jar of Classico Bruschetta Topping

  • Celery sticks for dippin' into the roasted red pepper hummus I picked up

  • Ratatouille made with roasted red and orange bell peppers, roasted garlic, sauteed onion, sauteed green and yellow zucchini, pan-seared grape tomatoes and black olives

  • Sweet potato mash with goat cheese, crispy prosciutto, chives and roasted garlic


On Friday, I made homemade marshmallows which are far denser than commercial marshmallows, and probably just as bad for me.

A trip to The Big Carrot on Saturday yielded non-dairy creamer, so it's likely that I'll be making up another batch of non-dairy ice cream this week. I've been thinking of doing a brownie version this time.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At Mon Oct 01, 03:58:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Non dairy creamer? Non-dairy ice cream? Sounds like something Emma might be able to enjoy. Hmm...

 
At Mon Oct 01, 11:42:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

You're going to want to check out "A Vegan Ice Cream Paradise" in my blogroll then...

 
At Tue Oct 02, 09:40:00 am GMT-4, Blogger Emma said...

Have you ever thought of going into to buisness for yourself? I know you don't get the "benefits" of working for a corporation, but you don't seem to be suited to the other side effects of working for other people. Just a thought.

 
At Wed Oct 03, 09:33:00 am GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can make homemade marshmallows???

Hmm... :)

 
At Wed Oct 03, 02:31:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger Unknown said...

I think it would take me a week and 10 litres of Gatorade to cook that much! Belated congrats by the way - you are totally my hero, especially now, as I'm seriously overwhelmed with deadlines.

 
At Thu Oct 04, 10:50:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

Kev:
This recipe is close to the one I used http://homecooking.about.com/library//archive/bldes60.htm

One caveat is that finding light corn syrup can be tricky.

Em:
I'm currently in the process of trying to figure out what I would be suited for. While I still don't think that being self-employed is the way to go for me, I was considerably more "at ease" in the freelance-market. So far, that's the likeliest candidate for where I'll be directing my energies when I decide to rejoin the workforce.

Stacy:
Sad to hear that work's been stressful. Let me know when you're free for that drink we keep talking about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home