Monday, November 13, 2006

Good lunch

I originally planned to try out the Mexican place at King and Bathurst over lunch today, but found it closed. Some weeks I've been going to The Kitchen Table at King and Bathurst to buy sandwich-fixings. Today's choices: mild Genoa salami, a half-loaf of rye bread, Nature Valley maple granola bars, LU raspberry Pims (jaffa cakes), a "vegetable" (read: potato with a little carrot and green onion) latke, a red pepper and four honey tangerines.

For lunch, I made a salami and tahini on rye, 1/4 of a red pepper (sticks) and the latke. My dessert was comprised of a few of the Pims.

I don't know what made me think to try tahini and salami together, but I'm glad to say that they make an excellent pairing. The tahini adds a richness to the meat (instead of cheese, which I can't have) without adding to the salt content of the sandwich. I imagine I'll be having salami and tahini sandwiches for the lunch for the rest of the week.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Tue Nov 14, 10:40:00 am GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm... jaffa cakes! *drool*

Although I much prefer the McVities original, but Pims do a decent interpretation... their caramel mousse ones aren't half-bad, either ;)

And now... to show my complete culinary ignorance... what's tahini?

 
At Tue Nov 14, 12:27:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger ghanima said...

I haven't been able to find the McVities Jaffa Cakes, but my interest is certainly piqued. I hope they're dairy-free too (sadly, no caramel mousse ventures for me)!

Tahini is a paste made with sesame seeds. It's a bit runnier than peanut butter, and tastes like sesame, but has a surprisingly peanut-buttery richness to it. A lot of Middle Eastern cuisines use it as a spread (eg., falafels, shwarma).

 
At Tue Nov 14, 12:38:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger MiraFabulous said...

Yeah, surprisingly Tahinni goes well on a lot of unexpected things. My people spread it on just about everything. Try mixed with Mollases or Honey on Toast for Breakfast. My favourite is as a sauce for fish ans seafood.. Shrinp Sandwiches with Tahinni on Whole Weat Baladi bread is awesome (baladi bread is sort of like Pita, but more rustic. Like Calabrese vs. a Kaiser)

 
At Tue Nov 14, 01:12:00 pm GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm.... sounds interesting... I might have to give that a try. Sometimes I want something vaguely nutty-ish (how's that for vague?), but not thick and gooey. 'k... I'm having a bad description day, obviously *laugh*

As for the McVities... I hadn't seen ANY McVities products over here until Dave and I were doing groceries this weekend. We thought we'd give Sobey's a try, and I was treated to some wonderful childhood-vacations-in-Ireland-with-the-grandparents flashbacks when I saw some McVities biscuits on the shelf :) But I'm being good, so I didn't look too closely *laugh* My devotion to their Jaffa Cakes may stem from memories of sitting in my grandmother's kitchen eating Jaffa Cakes and watching her bake, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home