Thursday, October 19, 2006

Beef and salad

Matt's been working late nights this week, so I've had a little more time for dallying in the kitchen than I usually get. I decided to make maple-soy sirloin steaks last night and a couscous salad (which I began preparing on Tuesday night). I've been using a wheat-free soy sauce after probably toxicifying poor Laurie a few weeks ago (she's been too polite to admit it), but forgot that it would contain considerably more salt in it than the reduced-sodium soy sauce I used to get. Consequently, the steaks were a little saltier than I would have liked, the maple flavour was overpowered by the soy, and plain rice would have been preferable for eating them with.

The couscous salad, however, was fantastic and well worth eating on its own. Here's a rundown of the ingredients I used:

Approx. 1/2 package whole wheat couscous
500g reduced-salt chicken stock
1/2 large carrot, cubed
1 yellow zucchini, cubed
1 bunch italian parsley, chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 ripe tomato, chopped
1 can black olives, drained, lightly rinsed, "crumbled"
sea salt to taste

So, I know to ease up on the soy if I stick with this brand, or go back to my reduced-salt brand, and to make this salad again.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Fri Oct 20, 10:55:00 am GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks amazing!!! Is that all one serving or is that to be divied up?

I wonder if drool is bad for a keyboard...

 
At Fri Oct 20, 02:49:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

No, no, just let it dry naturally and no harm will come to the electronics. ;)

Yes, that is one serving. The steak portion is only about the size of a deck of cards (the ladies will no doubt note the use of nutritionist-recommended portion sizing). Matt got a slightly larger one for himself.

 
At Sat Oct 21, 03:48:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh. I guess the drool can stop then. It was way more drool-worthy when it was the size of a plate in my head. :D

Still looks great... just not the symbol of massive excess I first saw. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home