Sunday, October 01, 2006

Homemade vs. Restaurant: Round 1

In this corner, current titleholder for the past seven consecutive years: Seaspray's Lemon Chicken; and in this corner, untried, untrue and raring to prove its worth: homemade lemon chicken!

Since Matt was going to be up at Lake Rosso for a high-school friend's wedding tonight, I thought this would be the opportune evening to have Caty's friend, Vanessa, over to fulfill her request of being shown how to cook. Rather than show her things that she'd be too bored about to ever want to bother cooking again, I asked her to pick a dish that she liked, then find 3 different online recipes for it, print them off and bring them over.

When I'd spoken to her before tonight, she indicated that she was leaning towards preparing lemon chicken, so I said that I'd show her how to section a chicken, on top of cooking it.

Shortly after Caty and Vanessa's arrival, we compared the 3 recipes she had found to determine what a basic lemon chicken recipe consisted of, and made a quick run out to the grocery store to pick up the few ingredients I didn't have around the apartment. Upon retuning, we got down to cooking!

The end result was a blissfully "real" tasting lemon chicken dish (I'm not sure how else to put it -- everything tasted less artificial), one that I'd gladly incorporate into my roster of tasty food to make. Vanessa did a great job!

Winner: homemade lemon chicken

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Sun Oct 01, 09:46:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allez cuisine!! :)
Mmm.. homemade lemon chicken sounds pretty tasty.
Congrats to Vanessa on her first dish.

 
At Sun Oct 01, 11:27:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger MiraFabulous said...

Yeah, sounds awesome - so are you starting a culinary school?

I think it would be a fun thing to get together ot try and make a particular dish and then enjoy the fruits of our labour in the end.

Yummy - things rto look forward to :)

 
At Mon Oct 02, 09:34:00 am GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

As much as I'd love to do a cooking-themed gathering, our kitchen (specifically, the counters) simply isn't large enough to do anything grand. I'll have to content myself with having, at most, one other person in the kitchen. Shall I distribute a sign-up form? :P

Thanks, Bruce, for my first smile of the day, BTW.

 
At Mon Oct 02, 01:30:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm willing to stay out of the kitchen during the preparation of the dishes and consign myself to the consumption stage at the end of the performance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home