Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Phew! That was tiring!

Okay, so after noticing that Ontario tomatoes are in stores, and given my recent canning exploration, I decided that this weekend I would can as much basic tomato sauce as I could make with 4 baskets of tomatoes. As it turns out, this is 4-1L jars and 1-250mL jar, plus approximately 8 hours of work(!) and one very messy kitchen.

Sadly, one of the 1L jars didn't vacuum seal, so I have to devise a plan for using that much tomato sauce within the next two weeks. Potential projects: canning chili, ratatouille or gheymeh. The funny part is that I probably would have opened a 1L jar within that time any way, since I didn't sample more than a teaspoon of the sauce while I was making it (I didn't want to end up having an incomplete jar).

Two lessons learned: 1) make sure you have a pot big enough to hold the jars you're processing -- this means I'm probably going to have a ridiculously large pot to stash somewhere in our storage-challenged apartment; 2) consulting a recipe beforehand means no last-minute trips to the grocery store to pick up a vital piece of the recipe -- I'll likely invest in a canning "bible" this week.

The canning tools kit that Emma got me as a birthday present was indispensible (thanks again, Em!).

Since the kitchen was in a shambles afterwards, I took the opportunity to rearrange items in the kitchen cupboards, hiding random things which had been sitting on the counters and pulling others out and into decorative containers. I'm much happier with the way things look now.

Also of note: these make excellent, inexpensive spoon rests and I finally got a salt mill.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Tue Sept 05, 06:33:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wanted to con tomoatoes - but I understand that the way the Itialians do it is to get like the entire extended family together - they work for like a whole week-end, then they get to take a year's supply of canned tomatoes home.

So maybe next year we could try to work something out - a few of us, maybe a bushelful or two of tomatoes, 10 jars each to take home sort of thing?

I've only ever made Jam myself, and that was a huge pain to clean-up!!

 
At Wed Sept 06, 09:02:00 am GMT-4, Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

Sounds like fun despite the mess. I think I'm going to snag those "spoon rests" the next time I'm at KSP - I've been looking for non-cheesy ones for a long time. :)

 
At Wed Sept 06, 09:09:00 am GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

That was why I didn't make a purchase 'til now, too. It seems you can either go the "I live in a cottage with a field full of cows" way, or the "I wish I was living in the year 2483 and shun everything that isn't stainless steel" way, when it comes to spoonrests.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home