Friday, September 01, 2006

Well, now my breath is going to stink all afternoon

The meagre portion of vegetarian chili I had for lunch today did very little to quell my hunger, so I ended up grabbing a late lunch at 2pm today.

On my way to the nearest bank machine, I passed King Falafel. I've been to this establishment previously, following a job interview I had in the neighbourhood, and remembered that the falafel sandwich I grabbed there was excellent, if the hot sauce was too pasty. I've been more turned-off than usual by high-fat, high-sodium foods lately, so the fact that this place is family-run and the food is freshly made was a big plus. Thus decided, I proceeded to order and consume the small (hardly!) Chicken Shawarma sandwich which came on a thin but tender pita and was topped with garlic sauce, parsley, tomato, lettuce, onion, pickles and pickled turnip, then grilled.

Despite the fact that I'm going to have terrifying breath during the Comic Con this afternoon, the sandwich was probably the most satisfying thing I've eaten all week, at least. I must remember to drag Bruce out there on an extended lunch some afternoon. The only downside: limited, outdoor seating.

File under: Other Eatery Reviews

The Food Building at the Ex has never let me down. On Sunday, I ate lumpia, a veggie samosa, kurma (weird, I can't find an online reference to it), 1/2 of a sausage, a pulled pork sandwich (which was the highlight of the excursion) and some fresh-cut fries with gravy, all as part of my resolve to avoid chain foods. Why people go to the Food Building to eat Pizza Nova or Manchu Wok is beyond me. Naturally, the profusion of fried foods I had is probably partly to blame for my current aversion to salt and fat. :)

Last night, some of the AKA-crowd got together at Alice Fazooli's to celebrate Elsa's termination from the aforementioned festering pit of despair. I'm sad to report that the grilled calamari was overly rubbery, but the brightside is that the "toppings" it was paired with were top-notch. The asparagus that came with Matt's dish were very nicely cooked, but I think the consensus was that it was too much money to pay to eat food that was "alright". At least I finally got to try (and enjoy!) a lichee martini.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home