Friday, April 13, 2012

Happy, happy birthday, baby



Kara and I slept in on the 11th — an almost unheard-of occurrence around here. She seemed to be in good spirits when she woke, so I gave my parents and sister the All Clear to come visit, despite the fact that she was clearly still sick. We went out for lunch and Kara enjoyed playing on the playground. I put her down for a much-needed nap after my family left.

Then things went sour. Kara woke unusually early and clearly upset. She was clingy and seemed to be in pain. By 4:30 pm, I was sure she had a recurring Urinary Tract Infection; she was in discomfort when I changed her diaper and was prone to crying fits (which she never does any more) at what seemed to be random intervals. When Matt came home, I got us back out to the ER at NYGH.

Long story short, 6 hours, a urine collection sample and narrowly avoiding a catheter later, we went home with an antibiotics prescription for Kara's first ear infection. We've also been giving her Advil and Tylenol to keep the fever in check and to help her manage the pain.

She napped twice today, each for the duration she does for a single daytime nap, when she takes one. She was exhausted by bedtime. Everyone's completely wiped and we'll all been eating poor excuses for food for days.

Yesterday we had the plumber in to fix the elbow joint in the kitchen sink which gave out when Matt was cleaning up at 12:30 am, following our trip to the ER.

It's been a helluva week and I'm sad to say that I don't think anyone feels we gave Kara a "proper" birthday celebration. At least she had fun for the first part of that day, I guess.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Mon May 07, 01:46:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Kevin said...

Whoa! I haven't been by here for a little while. How's she doing? Everything work out ok?

 
At Thu May 10, 07:27:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

Kara recovered from her ear infection nicely. Mind you, that was just the start of the awesomeness around here. I could use about a year's worth of vacation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home