Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Arroz (y habas) con pollo



In my second Throwdown with Bobby Flay-inspired culinary adventure, the Arroz con Pollo episode I recently watched made me realize how much I've been craving Latin food lately.

After researching a reference recipe, I decided to break from the traditional Puerto Rican method of preparation, and add some elements that I've been craving. This was a very time-consuming recipe, but I'm very pleased with the results. I only hope I remember everything that I did to prepare it all:

For the chicken:I used the chicken back and some sea salt to make a simple chicken stock. I also boiled some organic red kidney beans, then soaked them overnight to soften them. The chicken was lightly rinsed and patted dry the following day, then pan-seared in the chicken fat I skimmed off the chicken stock. The chicken was set aside until the rice and beans were cooked.

For the rice and beans:
  • 1 chopped yellow onion, sautéed in the remaining chicken fat
  • drained kidney beans
  • frozen, organic tri-colour peppers
  • organic, brown basmati rice
  • chicken stock
Once the rice mixture had simmered until most of the liquid had evaporated, the chicken was added on top and the whole pan went into a 350° oven for about 45 minutes.

To serve, the rice gets treated as a side dish to the chicken and I add salsa verde to taste.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Tue Mar 09, 07:21:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger Kelly said...

How did I not know you have a food blog???

 
At Wed Mar 10, 09:59:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger ghanima said...

More importantly: how did you discover my secret lair? :)

I don't really do anything to advertise myself. For the most part, this blog only gets seen by people who already know me in-person.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home