Sunday, March 04, 2007

Waiting for the storm...

Little known fact about me: I get barometric pressure migraines. Em has posited that people are afflicted in one of two ways:

  1. People who tend to have headaches and find stomach aches unbearable

  2. People who tend to have stomach aches and find headaches unbearable


I fall into the latter category, and woke up with one today.

It doesn't always happen before rain or snow, but I will get migraines up to several days before precipitation is going to fall. My barometric pressure migraines follow a particular M.O.:

  • They're persistent. The intensity of the migraine will wane, but will inexplicably reassert its presence, in a sharp, stabbing sensation.

  • Painkillers don't help. They do help me relax enough that I'm not distracting by the pain, but I'm still aware of the migraine's presence. I often opt out of taking painkillers if the migraine's intensity doesn't flair up often.

  • Sleeping or napping rarely eliminates the migraine. I'll usually wake up with the same migraine I went to bed with.

  • They can make me hyper-sensitive to light. This occurs rarely, mercifully.

  • Strong, perfumy smells seems to aggravate them. I'm much better at processing fruity smells than floral smells, for some reason.

  • Rain or snow doesn't necessarily have to fall for the migraine to pass. This is why I refer to them as barometric pressure headaches.


I've yet to be rid of this one, but The Weather Network assures me that snow will fall tonight.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At Tue Mar 06, 01:53:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger MiraFabulous said...

Funny - I have berometric pressure hair. The Volume of my hair is directly co-related to the imminence of a bout of precipitation!

on a serious note, I fall into catgegory #2 as well, and while I can usually function with a severe stomach ache, the tiniest lettle headache knocks me out.

I hope you're feeling better!

 
At Tue Mar 06, 06:13:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger Emma said...

Actually Miriam it's inversely related. As the pressure decreases, as it does proceeding a storm, the volume of your hair increases.

Take that Bruce's Blog!

 
At Wed Mar 07, 03:46:00 pm GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn.. and I thought my blog had the monopoly on all the geek talk in our blogoverse..

 
At Wed Mar 07, 06:31:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger ghanima said...

I'm always glad to see a bit of geekiness brought my way. Let none believe otherwise. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home