Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A low-fat, low-cal dinner?!

When you make the decision to sacrifice a week's worth of leisure-time to calculating your taxes, it's inevitable to, at least, consider turning to comfort food for solace. Or to buy two doughnuts on your way home for inhalation.

It had been years since I last had anything doughnut-like, due to its probable dairy content. Last night I decided to chance the misery any way, figuring the trace milk amounts in it probably wouldn't affect me. So far, so good, on that front.

I'm not usually the type to experience eater's remorse, but I do take a morbid fascination in discovering the nutritional information from my fast food choices. One chocolate dip and one maple dip doughnut from Tim Horton's break down thusly:

  • 420 calories

  • 16g fat: 7g saturated, 0.2g trans

  • 0mg cholestrol

  • 380mg sodium

  • 64g carbohydrates

  • 2g fibre

  • 8g protein

  • 4% RDI calcium

  • 20% RDI iron


What I'm completely flabbergasted by is the fact that, as far as dinner goes, this wasn't really all that bad for me! Clearly, it's not something to do on a regular basis (the lack of fibre alone illustrates that), but I could've done much worse — if I could reduce my calorie intake per meal to 420 calories, I'd be laughing.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Wed Feb 21, 09:03:00 am GMT-5, Blogger MiraFabulous said...

Try comparing the stats on a muffin vs. a donught, and you see that a donught is actually a little less bad for you - crazy!!
And a Chocolate bar beets them both out.

So moral of the story, if you're going to eat junk, always go for the chocolate :)

 
At Wed Feb 21, 10:02:00 am GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprisingly, I think the cinnamon raison bagel and double-double coffee I just consumed gave me almost the same calorie count.

Also, I was always under the impression that the cake donuts were slightly healthier than the dip donuts - turns out its the other way around. Goodbye old fashioned glazed , Hello chocolate dip ;)

 
At Wed Feb 21, 10:53:00 am GMT-5, Blogger ghanima said...

When in doubt, density brings higher calorie-counts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home