Thursday, January 11, 2007

I am not hungry, again

So, for those who I haven't spoken to recently, Matt, his parents and I went with Brandi to The Keg in Barrie to belatedly celebrate her birthday. After a wait of nearly an hour, we were seated. By then, I think most of us were just about ready to gnaw our own limbs off for sustenance, so it's no surprise that I went ahead and ate the rare steak that was placed in front of me, rather than demanding the medium steak I'd initially requested. Apparently, that was a giant mistake — I came down with food poisoning.

I took it easy on Sunday and Monday, keeping my food-intake to simple things like crackers and the odd celery stick. Suffering no ill effects by Monday, I chose to go ahead with my plan to treat Bruce to lunch on Tuesday. I think dim sum was simply too complex for my poor, abused digestive system to process, so I relapsed on Tuesday night.

Yesterday's intake consisted of saltines, ginger ale and soda water. By 3pm, I had a mild headache coming on. Knowing that the lack of nutrients in my body was probably the cause of the aggravation, I stopped at the grocery store on the way home and picked up a 6-piece order of vegetarian California rolls. Sadly, even after eating, the headache persisted and was full-blown by 7pm. I napped — fitfully — over the course of the next two hours. Realizing I'd be useless for the remainder of the evening, I got ready for bed, my headache seriously making me consider the health benefits of weeping in pain. By then, I had nausea as well, a deterrent in taking anything for my headache. I caved in to the pain-supressing bliss of Advil about 1-1/2 hours after going to bed, and was asleep within the next 15 minutes.

So today I realized that dealing with stomach pain is a helluva lot easier for me than a splitting headache, and — starting my day with a bowl of easily-digestible cream of wheat — went ahead and had a sushi lunch with John and Terri. Balk all you want, but when was the last time you had dairy served to you in a sushi restaurant?

My fingers, they are crossed.



At Thu Jan 11, 04:19:00 pm GMT-5, Anonymous brew-san said...

I'm sorry, that my birthday lunch caused a relapse in your bout with food poisoning and from the sounds of it, it's come back with a vengence.

At Thu Jan 11, 05:58:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger ghanima said...

Are you kidding? I look upon that meal as the one time this week that I was able to eat properly.

At Fri Jan 12, 07:33:00 am GMT-5, Blogger Emma said...

It sounds a lot like my stomach troubles over Christmas and New Years. Hope you feel better soon. It was hard to decide between not eating and have a head-ache or eating and have a belly-ache (to put it nicely).

At Fri Jan 12, 08:21:00 am GMT-5, Blogger MiraFabulous said...

SOrry to hear you are sick :(
I am with you 100% on the stomach ache vs. headache thingy!!

Also, I wanted to let you know that I don;t think it was the steak itself that caused your sickness. Bacteria can only live on the surface of the meat, so as long as it's seared on all surfaces, how rare it is on the inside should be irrelevant. SO a Rare vs. a Medium steak is not more likely to make you ill.

My expereince with food poisoning is that it's usually the meal before the one that makes you feel sick that is the culprit.

So what meal did you have prior to the KEG?

At Fri Jan 12, 10:28:00 am GMT-5, Blogger ghanima said...

Earlier that day, I had an egg, sausage and toast breakfast with an orange. I cooked it all myself ('cept for the orange, which I washed thoroughly), and I'm really careful when I'm cooking (due to my many experiences with food poisoning as a child).

I'm not saying it's impossible for me to have gotten ill on that meal; I'm saying I think it's much more likely to have occurred in a busy restaurant kitchen. The meat itself may not have been the culprit, I realize, but I got nauseous just thinking about that part of the meal, afterwards.


Post a Comment

<< Home