Monday, August 03, 2009

Garlic polenta



I had made polenta once before, several months ago, and was surprised to discover that its flavour and texture are strikingly similar to that of congealed cream of wheat (which I'm sad to say, I've had more than once). Which is to say, it was bland and uninteresting. It did, however, benefit greatly from being pan-seared on both sides, yielding a texture much like that of McCain's Smiles. It was still lacking in flavour, 'though, and I was trying to sort out ways to make it more palatable.

Well, this week is a produce week for me, so I thought I'd give polenta another shot.

Last night, while I had my roast veggie terrine in the oven (comprised of sautéed mushrooms, roasted green and yellow zucchini, roasted tomatoes, black olive tapenade and roasted sweet bell peppers), I also tossed in some foil-wrapped and oil-drizzled garlic.

The par-roasted garlic ended up being minced and added to the polenta as it was in the mixing stage. I pan-seared two slices as part of brunch today and was pleased at the sweet-garlicky flavour that was added to it, as a result of my efforts. I'd make this again, and would like to experiment with the addition of dried herbs.

I prepped my poor, iron-deprived body for produce week by picking up another 1/2-price package of Beretta Farms' beef, this time treating it to a generous rub of the Louisiana Fish Fry Products Cajun Seasoning which Roy was kind enough to donate to my collection of food-enhancers. Both Matt and I agree that it complements beef quite nicely (thanks yet again, Roy!).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home