Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My own dairy-free chocolate mousse ice cream!



I've apparently made chocolate mouse mousse ice cream two other times, but I only remember the first. This time I standardized a little better, so I'm going to post my recipe.

Ingredients
  • approx. 8 oz dairy-free chocolate
    (I use the dark chocolate discs from the Bulk Barn)

  • slightly less than a full carton of soy creamer
    (although I'm sure a full carton will do just as well)

  • 5 eggs, separated

  • approx. 2 tsp salt

  • approx. 1-1/4 tbsp sugar

Directions

Whisk/blend the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks form. Add the sugar towards the end, beating slightly thereafter.

Over low heat, melt the chocolate into the non-dairy creamer, whisking to incorporate the chocolate. This tends to splash, so be patient. Do not allow the solution to boil (the soy will curdle). Once the mixture has heated sufficiently to melt all the chocolate and so that wisps of steam are rising, temper the eggs yolks and whisk into the hot chocolate mix. While still hot, fold the egg whites into the chocolate blend.

Note: the residual heat of the chocolate mix is how the eggs cook, so work quickly. Allow mousse blend to cool, then freeze as per ice cream maker's directions.

I usually eat a bit of the mousse before freezing, you know, just to make sure it tastes right. :)

This time, I found that the mousse was a bit overly salty/not sweet enough for my liking, but then it seems to have righted itself during the freezing process. The ice cream came out fantastically.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At Wed Jul 15, 01:22:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger Emma said...

I was told that freezing stuff takes the saltiness out of salt. That's why I never add salt to a meal I know I'll be freezing.

Um, will there be any leftovers come Friday? ;)

 
At Wed Jul 15, 02:49:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

What, a dairy-free Key lime chezzcake with chocolate crumb base isn't going to be enough? Any way, I don't expect ice cream would travel very well...

Also, thanks for explaining about the salt. I had never heard that before!

 
At Wed Jul 15, 03:32:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger Emma said...

I've got PMS in the WORST way. I suppose it's impairing my judgment.

So far it looks like it might be just you and me. In which case you can bring along a knitting project if you like.

As for getting you to our place. If Bruce is playing poker and he's willing to car-pool with Austin that'll leave me with the car. My plan falls apart if Bruce isn't playing poker however. :(

 
At Wed Jul 15, 04:26:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger Austin said...

<halp!>

 
At Wed Jul 15, 04:40:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

LMAO. I can always rope my hubby into driving me up, you know.

 
At Wed Jul 15, 10:32:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Wanda said...

Chocolate mousse ice cream = hmmmm!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home