Sunday, June 07, 2009

Kinda new hobby
























I must have discovered amigurumi some time after my interest in Pinky:St started to wane (too many special edition figures with limited swapping-capability!). I had always been interested in knitted/crocheted toys, but it hadn't occurred to me to look for free patterns online. Once it did, that evolved into me Googling the word and seeing what I came up with.

So I took my first foray into the artform this week, when I completed the Marisol mouse pattern found during a recent search. I used some leftover 8/8 Camilla Valley Farm cotton I had lying around. CVF, by the way, produce some of the best yarn I've ever worked with. I stuffed him with said yarn's cuttings which makes him an all-cotton toy.

Sadly, I think my version of the toy isn't anywhere near as cute as the original. I suspect that's because the yarn I used isn't fuzzy and is a bit thicker than it ought to be. Its thickness also meant that it kept slipping off the coated aluminum double-pointed needles I was using, a frustration to be sure.

I wanted to use a non-fuzzy, thick yarn because the toy is intended for a new addition to the Sinclair family (congrats again, guys!).

It didn't occur to me until I was braiding a tail for him (ugh, I-cords are hard UPDATE: poop! not as hard as I thought!) that maybe giving a baby a toy with a long, fabric extension wasn't the brightest of ideas. I made sure to point that out as I was leaving, and give the proud parents the verbal go-ahead to snip that clean off (à la three blind mice!) if they thought it'd be a problem.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At Sun Jun 07, 03:03:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger Unknown said...

Not as cute? Bah! It's supercute. Incidentally, I've named him Murphy. Murphy the supercute mouse.

 
At Sun Jun 07, 03:26:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

Awesome. I'd given him the temporary name of Alphonse as I was working on him, just 'cause it seemed a bit cruel to leave him nameless. Murphy's a damn good name for a mouse.

 
At Sun Jun 07, 10:54:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Wanda said...

I think your mouse is cute and unique! (He doesn't have to follow the crowd) :)

By the way - sorry bout the house. :(

 
At Mon Jun 08, 03:14:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger MiraFabulous said...

Hey got any knitted patterns for an elephant?

I would be all over that!

 
At Wed Jun 10, 06:31:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous notweasel said...

How 'bout a little baby seal? I'd love one of those...


Hmm... probably shouldn't give any indication of why... :D

 
At Thu Jun 11, 09:13:00 am GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

For some strange reason, I'm craving organ meat...

 
At Thu Jun 11, 05:28:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous Wanda said...

organ meat???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home