Friday, November 23, 2007

It's (a)live!

After two days worth of blood, sweat and tears (or eyestrain, bad food, and intensive problem-solving, at least), I've given my website a much-needed update.

For those keeping track, this means that I've begun the not-so-arduous task of teaching myself CSS. My only hard-copy reference was HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS, 1st edition (out of print). I found the experience remarkably similar to coding for tables in HTML, but with (yay!) more fluidity to the layouts. I would've liked some additional interactivity with the navigation, but I keenly suspect that I'd have to pick up some JavaScript to pull it off. I haven't yet decided if I want to make the jump to web design, and so won't be investing the necessary time and effort into learning JavaScript just yet.

In keeping with my HTML skills, the website was hard-coded in CSS, excepting the downloadable code from HTML Utopia... I used for the basic three-column layout (edited down to two) with footer.

Of note: I find it really odd that — with all the functionality of using style sheets — no one thought to build in the ability to have hyperlinks within them. The analogy for those who work with professional print layout software is that CSS gives you style sheets, but doesn't provide you with the heightened usability of master pages. An odd choice, certainly, but a step in the right direction.

So, for those of you who haven't nodded off from lack of interest, I'd appreciate some opinions from the readership (sent to my personal Gmail account, if you please). Thanks!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At Fri Nov 23, 06:02:00 am GMT-5, Blogger rrwood said...

I barely know any CSS, so don't smack me too hard if I'm missing something, but isn't it just a way of defining the styles that HTML elements are to render as? The way I understand it, you write your HTML without any styling information (e.g. font face, sizes, colour, etc) and, as an attribute of the HTML element, you simply include an abstract reference to the CSS style that specifies how to render the HTML. Then the CSS style actually defines the font specifics and such.

So, you could define a block of text in your HTML to be of CSS style "Leah-paragraph" and then in your CSS stylesheet define "Leah-paragraph" to be 12 pt Times, color #000, background-color #aaa.


So anyway, as far as links go, since the real core of the page is HTML, then just use the regular HTML HREF tag, no?

 
At Mon Nov 26, 10:36:00 am GMT-5, Blogger Austin said...

What rrwood said.

I'm been playing around with stylesheets with our wedding website. All I've done is used it to define certain looks, and I can apply those looks to certain parts of the page. Hyperlinks still go in the stock HTML.

 
At Mon Nov 26, 11:20:00 am GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had any idea what a master page was in reference to print software, I might be able to provide suggestions. :)

Not that it will help much, but asp.net 2.0 has something called master pages which lets you define an overall layout and then simply provide the content for the various sub-pages within the site.

 
At Wed Nov 28, 09:12:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger ghanima said...

Master Pages in InDesign and Quark allow you to define and place content in a source document. All pages which refer to that document have the same content, in the same place on the page (i.e., page numbering, chapter titles, headers, etc.). It just seems to be that anybody who'd bother with setting up a system to define which styles need to be applied to each page would go the extra step and allow for content to be pre-determined too.

 
At Wed Nov 28, 09:31:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger rrwood said...

Bitch, bitch, bitch....

:-)

 
At Wed Nov 28, 10:43:00 pm GMT-5, Blogger ghanima said...

Yes, yes, yes? :P

 
At Thu Nov 29, 10:32:00 am GMT-5, Blogger Austin said...

Oh, you want a template! You should be able to pull in files of standardized HTML pretty easily. I don't actually know how you would do it, since I do my stuff through PHP, so I can just "include" my standardized header and footers.

But given that you can pull in external stylesheet and JavaScript files, I see no reason why you can't do the same with HTML.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home