Saturday, October 23, 2010

Soy butter cookies with chocolate squares



A trip to Ambrosia last weekend provided two samples of Safe4School WowButter, a product which I initially thought would be similar to the vegan margarine I use. What I discovered instead was a product which is a substitute for peanut butter — one which doesn't have the heady initial impact of peanut butter, but which finishes exactly like peanut butter. In other words, a very interesting prospect to someone who uses peanut butter sparingly. Matt pointed out that I could make "peanut butter" cookies, a suggestion which I was glad to discover that others have also considered.

Allrecipes.com has a recipe for Classic Peanut Butter Cookies. Reviews of the recipe suggested increasing the flour and peanut butter content by ½ cup each, and adding a teaspoon of vanilla in with the eggs. The ingredients I used, then, are as follows:
  • 1 cup vegan margarine
  • 1 ½ cup soy butter
  • 1 cup organic white sugar
  • 1 cup packed organic brown sugar
  • 2 large, organic eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 cups organic, all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
    (due to the margarine being unavailable in unsalted)
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
After flattening out each cookie, I added a dark chocolate square to each indent since the "test cookies" I baked proved somewhat lacking in sweetness.

The end result is a cookie which doesn't have the strong peanut butter flavour of real peanut butter cookies, but which is a pretty good approximation, and certainly worth doing if you have peanut sensitivities. I'd probably make this again, but I'm more likely to attempt making No-Bake WOWBUTTER Squares first, since I've been craving the peanut butter squares at Eve's Temptations in
St. Lawrence Market for well over a year now, which I swore off while I was pregnant.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Thu Oct 28, 04:12:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger MiraFabulous said...

Yummy Yum Yum!

 
At Sun Nov 28, 04:00:00 pm GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, on a different note i saw your remark about making vegan puff pastry with good results. maybe you can email me therecipe and the instructions and baking directions. so far i had only flops. thanks.
archhm@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home