Saturday, October 09, 2010

Fuck.

I never thought I'd be the type of parent to attempt allowing my baby to "cry herself to sleep" (checking up on her periodically, of course), but after several nights worth of waking every hour or two to give Kara pathetically small feedings before she drifted back off to sleep (she wasn't even allowing herself to be soothed back to sleep), I've placed her in her crib to allow her to cry. I'll still offer to feed her, but that time is a long 35 minutes away.

Update (for Em's benefit, really): She cried regularly (except for when I'd check in on her) until I fed her at 4am, then kept crying in that manner until about 5am, when Matt and I tried to get her to settle down on her own while co-sleeping with her. That didn't work, so we put her in her bassinet. It wasn't until about 6am that she started trying to get herself to sleep, and then she was waking fairly frequently after it appeared that she was startling awake. She fell asleep after her 7am feeding and woke around 8:15. Since then, she's had one nap and is bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I'm hoping another solution presents itself today/tonight or she catches on quickly.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Sat Oct 09, 11:06:00 am GMT-4, Blogger Emma said...

Oh I'm sorry hon! I know you really didn't want to go there. However if Logan has taught me anything it's that sometimes the child has the greatest say in what parenting technique ends up being the most successful. Hang in there and hopefully you'll find a solution that meets both your needs.

 
At Sat Oct 09, 12:23:00 pm GMT-4, Anonymous NotWeasel said...

Have you tried alcohol? I can think of a couple things that do a great job of helping me sleep... but that's the only one that might apply here.

 
At Sat Oct 09, 12:39:00 pm GMT-4, Blogger ghanima said...

@NotWeasel: Yeah, since Kara's come along, I've thought about alcohol to help me sleep lots. Oh wait, you didn't mean for me, did you? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home